Spoken Word Theater project for young people curated and facilitated by Hayley Frances and Malik (MD7).
Expressions of War was an eight week spoken word poetry, rap and creative writing project to commemorate 100 years of war. Using stimulus from World War One right up to modern day conflicts and interpretations of war, a group of young people participated in a series of discussion based, creative writing and performance workshops and curated a piece of Spoken Word Theater.
Responding to personal accounts of war, the history of war and visual arts of soldiers, young people produced a collection of spoken word poems and monologues and pieced them together into a script. Working with Malik (MD7), Hayley Frances and Rodney P, participants developed their writing skills enabling them express their unique ideas and voices of war.
- Improve confidence in literacy through written and aural communication
- To gain an understanding of War World One leading to current affairs.
- Increase social engagement with young people through alternative art forms; Spoken Word, Poetry and Performance
- Improve aspirations and motivation for local young people (identified as hard to reach)
- To have the opportunity to engage with professional artists
- To gain new experience through trips or inspirational talks
- Provide young people with new opportunities for the benefit of personal development e.g soft skills, transferable learning, key skills etc.
- Promote lifelong learning.
- Increase participation in library and museum based activities.
- To gain an Arts Award (Bronze) QCF Level 1
- To host local events or platforms for the purpose of youth participation and involvement; Music recordings, theater and performance poetry
- To develop a young writers portal or network in Sandwell
Expressions of War produced the following:
- Publication – Poetry/ Spoken Word/ Rap lyrics including photography
- Short Films (Identical that was produced by Random Acts)
- Performance opportunities:
- Remembrance Day (Sunday 9th November 2014),
- Arts Cafe – Central Sixth, West Bromwich (26th November 2014)
- Library of Birmingham (16th December 2014)
- Sandwell Libraries/Museums events
- Live Performance/Showcase evening.
Produced by Creative Acadamies.